Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Refereeing

On the 2nd of October, I made my switch from playing football to refereeing it! Mr. Shipley asked me if I would be available to oversee a middle school football match. The experience was quite enjoyable since I was able to slip into the shoes of the very people who I found so annoying when playing football myself! I didn’t blow for many fouls and the game was quite free flowing. The only remarkable error I made was when a player handled the ball right in front of me. I was so engrossed in watching them play that I forgot I was the referee!

This experience taught me something new. You can blame the referee for not seeing fouls but you must not forget that the referee is also human! It was also an enjoyable experience exerting my authority on smaller kids. It also helped me in being more neutral and objective towards both teams and even when I myself played.

No comments:

Post a Comment