Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Football

Football has always been my passion and Friday’s afterschool football practice was the perfect place to exhibit it. Luckily we had a big group of people so we could really get a good game with complete players going. We played on half the field and Mr. Pickett supervised. We played a dirty game with no rules, some lives were lost and some of us got badly hurt. This wasn’t just football, this was war. Every week we played with the same teams and we had our little rivalry going. Annoyingly though my team always lost by that one odd goal. Even when on the last practice, the other team had a player missing and I switched sides, we still lost.

I also became aware of the fact that there was community football on Saturdays from 3:30 to 6:00. A different bunch of kids from OSC and the British school participated leading to fantastic free flowing games at the end of training. The most memorable was an 8-7 victory in which I scored 2 and assisted 2 more. I also persuaded many of my classmates to come and attend on Saturday.


On the 25th of September, our school Saisa team of which I am a part, played against the Colombo lions, a local football club in Colombo. The first half was a half to forget, we went 6:0 down but did manage to pull one goal before the break. The second half was much better as we scored 3 goals. The final score read 6-4, we had lost the match, but the result hardly mattered as we had gained considerable experience playing against a team of players twice our size and age. In the second half we had also learnt to put a considerable amount of trust in our teammates and it was this trust that helped us overcome the opponents, at least in the second half.


These activities helped me work on some of my aims for the year. It helped me develop new skills as every practice I tried something new while playing. It also helped me collaborate with others, since the people I played with on Saturday’s are not people I usually play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment