Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2012

It's the final stretch now. This is the last semester in which I am involved in CAS, however it will surely not be the end of my involvement with it. Along the course of the previous 2 years i have learnt a few very useful things during my involvement with the CAS program. CAS has enabled me to reflect on my actions and consider their implications. I have learnt how little deeds carried out by me or others can go a long way in helping others. Most importantly however i have learnt the importance of working as a team. Collaboration is the key to success, be it community service or a football tournament. Last year I was part of a very successful service project; our service group managed to organize the biggest charity fundraiser of the year. Our "battle of the bands" raised over R.S. 250k, meaning we will be able to sponsor over 20 operations for the children with the cleft lip and palate disease. I was also involved in my last Saisa football tournament, a tournament in which around 10 teams representing schools from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal participate. As captain of the team I led them to a fourth place finish, our best in recent history. During the tournament I was once again reminded of the importance of teamwork as we only started playing properly once our team had gelled together and become comfortable with the formation everyone else was playing in. Our striker Bharat Khosla led the team score sheet by scoring 7 goals, Yariq Captain, a Saisa veteran, clocked up the most assists, and all the rest of the players gave everything in trying to win the matches. I was rewarded the accolade of 'most valuable player' for my efforts in the goal during the tournament.

Even though my involvement with such aspects of CAS is unlikely to stop in the future, these moments were some of the best i have had. For the rest of the semester in 2012 i have set myself a few goals which i would like to accomplish.

  • Firstly i would like to continue being part of the 'cleft lip and palate' community service program. After last years success we have had a number of people joining the service program. Although i am not the CAS leader, as a senior it would be mt responsibility to, along with the other seniors in our group, help the younger members fully grasp the importance of this aspect of CAS. At this stage it is important that the new members are made aware of their responsibilities and what their future contributions to the CAS will be. Last year when i joined the CAS, our group was left relatively directionless by our previous leaders. It was our group led by the CAS leaders that had decided on the action to be taken for the future of the CAS in a way that it best benefited the purpose we were trying to serve. This year my aim is to help the new members of the CAS find this transition period much easier. We have a good deal going after our success in 2011, now is the time to build on that success and lay out the groundwork for future accomplishments.
  • I also plan on continuing my involvement in the action aspect of CAS. Last year was a high point in terms of action as i was involved in my last Saisa. This year, due to academic strains, i will have to reduce my involvement in this aspect. My initial plan was to take part in the Saisa basketball tournament that OSC is hosting this year, however, due to a muscle tear in my right shoulder i will be unable to contribute to the team in any way. Instead i plan on continuing football by taking part in the Saturday community football at OSC. This way i can continue to build on the skills i already possess along with having some fun.
  • With all the academic stress and action, it is important to balance things out with some creativity. This has been a weak point so far in my involvement with CAS. This last semester i plan on working on developing some new skills that will help my build my creative capacity. As my brother is really interested in drumming, we rented a drum set to help him practice at home. This gives me an excellent opportunity to unleash those creative skills and learn something new. In February i will also be taking part in a small play directed by my friend Skylord for his Drama class. I have the lead role in the play and hope to deliver a good performance in front of the audience. I am also looking forward to try something completely new to me in all ways, scuba diving. I have never done snorkeling or scuba diving and i am looking forward to this exciting experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment