Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Action


12th of March 2011Fun Fair 
Our grade set up the soccer goalie stall. The objective was to score at least 2 goals against a goalkeeper standing between the posts. I volunteered to keep goal for the first hour. In fact I had so much fun I ended up standing between the sticks for 2 ½ hours. The money we raised from the stall went to helping victims of the earthquake in Japan. I felt proud of indirectly helping 
quake victims by playing Goalkeeper.

British School Tournament

In February I heard of an upcoming football tournament at the British School of Colombo. I asked our Sports co-coordinator Mr. Shipley if we could participate. Initially we were not allowed to participate because many of our players were in the track and field team which would be leaving for Delhi in the coming month. However after continuous pestering he finally entered our name for the tournament. I felt proud because I had initiated our participation in an out-of school event.  I was the captain of the team and was looking to improve my leadership skills. We did not have our full team but we managed to get a few extra players who were playing football for the first time. We did surprisingly well in the tournament. We drew our first match 0:0. We convincingly won our next match 3:0 in which I scored. We then won our next match by a fantastic 5:0 score line. However sadly for me, half time spelt the end of the tournament and football for the next 5 months for me because I tore a quad muscle after a heavy collision with another player. We lost our next 2 matches but we were pretty pleased with our performance. It wasn’t my happiest time since I was now on crutches but at least I got a brief chance to work and improve my football skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment